About Us

My photo
Shawn, originally New Yorker, transported to Tennessee for a few years, chased the love of his life in Iowa, only to move her back to Tennessee. Rachael, small town Iowa girl that traveled the globe to find her love in Tennessee. Little did we know how much our lives would change when Little Miss Magdalyn Joy entered the world. Join our journey through the unknown of Maggie's medical issues, known truths of God, and the nuts and bolts of life.

7.12.2013

Happy Anniversary to us!

Five years ago, I stood next to my future hubby with tears running down my cheek.  Most would have assumed they were solely tears of joy, but all along, I knew they were something different.
The passage we chose for the message was Matthew 7:24-25, which says "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock."  Now that of course had a valid meaning since our original wedding location was flooded out 3 weeks prior to the wedding, but that wasn't what the tears were for either.
There was a momma off to the left that my gaze would lock onto.  This mom was a parent of one of my students.  Just 2 months prior, this momma had to bury her 18 month little girl that died from a freak accident in their driveway.  As my eyes caught this mother, I was reminded of the reality that we didn't have a clue what was ahead of us as we entered this blissful marriage.  The thought of our marriage in Christ being a firm foundation for our future family, a foundation that quite possibly would endure storms of various intensity. It was this that brought tears to my eyes, the fearful anticipation of what storms our marriage may have to endure.
Little did I know that the reality would indeed be intense storms.  That there would be no way either of us could survive the past few years without the other and our firm foundation.  Truly, this foundation is all we have to cling to.  This foundation is the source of love, encouragement, strength, and refuge.
Our wedding verse, "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer," (Romans 12:12) is the testimony of our last year in particular.  As I reflect, there is no better verse to speak to our hearts at the present!
I couldn't imagine walking this journey with anyone else!  As I told a friend tonight, our marriage is so much greater than a one day anniversary, and as I lay here in a random hotel 8 states away from my hubby, I know that with much prayer and commitment, our love will only grow stronger and stronger.

Feel free to always pray for our marriage though.   The statistics for special needs parents' divorce rate is staggering.  If in doubt of what to pray for with special needs families...strength for mommies and daddies relationships with each other and the Lord to serve as a firm foundation for the family.

To many more years....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this testimony Rachel! The Spirit is doing great things with your family, no doubt. Blessings on your marriage, your travels, & your little one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Rachael, Though I haven't written for awhile, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers...your entire family...your sweet baby girl and you and Shawn. God is so good and so faithful. I am learning that it is one step at a time. He will continue to show us what that next step will be. He will continue to grow us as we trust in Him and lay it at the foot of the cross. You are a remarkable woman...such a great momma and wife...I love to see how God has and continues to use this trial to grow you in your faith but also to reach many that you might not even know. He continues to use you all and your testimony for His eternal purpose. How great it is to know that we have eternity to look forward to....always lifting you up and Happy belated Anniversary!!!:) Love to you all, E

    ReplyDelete