About Us

My photo
Shawn, originally New Yorker, transported to Tennessee for a few years, chased the love of his life in Iowa, only to move her back to Tennessee. Rachael, small town Iowa girl that traveled the globe to find her love in Tennessee. Little did we know how much our lives would change when Little Miss Magdalyn Joy entered the world. Join our journey through the unknown of Maggie's medical issues, known truths of God, and the nuts and bolts of life.

2.27.2013

Big "Brother" Brian

Ironically 8 years ago I was awoken unexpectantly in the middle of the night while in Valpraisio, Chile. In the morning, we had learned there was a small earthquake about that time. The following day I came across a headline online that read, "Iowan Soldier Died". My heart sank when I saw the picture and read the name...Brian Gienau. His death was about that same time. My world had been shaken that early Sunday morning.
Being so far away from home, mourning such a tremendous loss was one of the most difficult things I thought I would ever experience. As I sit with a sweet little girl in my arms, I know that God is able to use these most challenging times in our lives to shape us, mold us, and refine us into His likeness. Little did did I know how those dark moments of relying on God's Truth, redemptive power, and complete faithfulness would prepare for the current battles we are facing.
We have close friends losing their Dad to an awful disease and I am in touch with so many parents with specially abled kiddos in difficult situations. All I can say is "Thank you Jesus for eternity and the perfection that your followers will experience there!" For now, "It is well with my soul". We will choose to sing praises to your Name in the darkest of nights. And what I have found is that these dark times are actually when I can most clearly see the Lord's light and I can see myself in all my helplessness and brokenness and know that it's only through Christ's blood that any of us have any hope.
Brian (and his piss and vinegar self) taught me so much in his life...and even more in his death. At that time, with other major things going on in my life as well, I reflected on the life of Job a lot. Eight years later, knowing I am so far away from home eternally, I am again reminded of the endurance of Job and anxiously await my homecoming. Until that day, we will run this race with endurance!

No comments:

Post a Comment